Andy Bauman’s large grocery and bakery building was opened in 1890 (today home of Ale House 1890) at 149 W. Main St. He then opened his “Bauman’s Annex” three doors east at 143 W. Main St. on Dec. 2, 1905. His ad stated he opened it to feature “Holiday goods, toys, and notions” for the upcoming holidays. Theodore Shallenberger purchased this store in Dec. 1906, and opened Shallenberger’s Department Store, promoting it as “Santa Claus Headquarters” in a Dec. 5, 1907 ad.
Shallenberger then sold his store to brothers Arthur C. and Clifford B. Everitt. They named it The People’s Savings Store and held the grand opening on Feb. 29, 1908.
Arthur Everitt (1881-1965) had married Theodore Shallenberger’s daughter Grace and they had two sons, William Theodore (1909-1993) and Donald Neil Everitt (1911-1980). Arthur’s brother Clifford Everitt married Mary E. Embich, and their daughter Maxine was born in 1916. The following year Clifford died due to a tragic accident, a fall from a gas derrick in an oil field near Newark (27 July 1917 Gazette).
The brothers were located at 143 W. Main less than four years before moving to 107 N. Columbus St. about 1912. The Everitt Bros. motto was “Where quality exceeds the price.” After about 20 years in this location, the Daily Eagle announced on Nov. 2, 1931: “Everitt Bros. to Quit.” The store was to close in the near future “and hoped to sell the entire stock before Christmas.” Arthur Everitt was subsequently elected City Treasurer and took office Jan. 1934 and continued to serve until 1960 with one short break. He died in 1965.
After Arthur Everitt closed his store on N. Columbus St. at the end of 1931, Clarence G. Johnson, former superintendent of the county schools, was ready to move his paint and glass company from 315 N. Broad St. into a larger store at 107 N. Columbus St. “A new front is being constructed on N. Columbus St. in the room recently vacated by Everitt Bros. into which Johnson Paint and Glass Co. is to move from its present location on N. Broad St. Other improvements are also being made. C. M. Yates & Son are doing the work,” announced Daily Eagle 19 Feb. 1932. The store was being modernized in co-operation with a Chamber of Commerce Program. An investment of approximately $1400 was being made by the property owner. “Such work as this increases the value of the property to the property owner and furnishes employment to men at a time when they especially need it.”
The Johnson Paint & Glass Co. held their grand opening on Saturday, April 30, 1932 at 107 N. Columbus St. They were a modern paint, glass and wall paper store, “designed to provide service.”
When Clarence Johnson died in 1945, his son Robert H. Johnson was hospitalized overseas after being wounded in Belgium. Robert and his wife Henrietta (Kirn) bought the firm, and Henrietta ran the operation until her husband returned and recuperated.
The Johnsons sold paint for homes, businesses and industrial clients, as well as wall paper. Needing storage space for large quantities, they rented the basement of the building to the north, and the basements of two buildings to the south. They operated the business until 1969. “Store will close for good 5:30 Saturday, September 20,” announced their ad in the E-G 19 Sept. 1969.
These four families and their businesses provided several chapters in downtown Lancaster’s retail history. The Bargain Boutique operated by Twig II of the local hospital moved into 107 N. Columbus St. October 3, 1972, and was there until 2011. Do readers know what is located there today?